Friday, September 5, 2008

The first week.

The first week of school is officially over. It was hectic/crazy, but also fun. Monday was rough. You never feel prepared enough, and I was incredibly overwhelmed. Tuesday was a little better, and by Wednesday I felt like a teacher. I only had ten kids this week. Many students are still returning from their summers. My kids are from all over. Many are Lebanese, the others vary--Cameroonian/Icelandic, Haitian/Canadian, from Benin, and Switzerland, a true smorgasbord of nationalities and races. I love it. The only probably is the language. Two of my girls do not speak any English, all of my Lebanese students' first language is Arabic--basically I find myself explaining things three times using different words each time and corresponding hand motions and props. I'm sure it would be hilarious to be an outsider looking in and watching what goes on in my classroom. My children are beautiful and sweet.
Another problem-they are all below grade level in reading. Some of my students can't make their letters and numbers yet. It's a bit discouraging as I was hoping they would enter first grade with some phonetic awareness and we'd be able to start reading from there. Unfortunately, we're starting from the beginning, reviewing letters, sounds, letter-sound correlations, etc. It's challenging as I was not expecting to have to start so basic. It's also frustrating as none of my students can write words either. This means anytime I'm checking for understanding, I must ask them to draw pictures or we have class discussions. I never realized how much I took reading and writing for granted with my past students. Also, bringing my vocabulary to their level has been difficult. Bringing it down to a first grade level is difficult, then bringing it down to first grade ESL level is even more difficult. Overall, it's been an experience and it's only been a week!
Well, I'm off to a faculty meeting, but I will post again soon. The internet has been coming and going this week, so it's been difficult to keep up with the blog. There are plenty of things to write about right now!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I know that I will probably have a tough time bringing my vocabulary down to their level too. My students will only be having one year of English instruction under their belt, so I am sure we will be having a similar experience... Miss you!! love you. We should try to start talking about our travel plans soon!!! <3

Mlle Hagan/ Mme Hudspeth said...

love you Christy! It's so great to be able to read what you are doing. I'll send you an update on me soon. Keep up the good work and the craziness will settle...it always does right?

Anonymous said...

a few of things:

1.) I love you

2.) Lebanese are the best looking people out there ;)

3.) I miss you

4.) sounds like your doing incredible things

Tyler said...

hope all is well christy!!

N.A. said...

I can picture your classroom and your students as vividly as if they were right before my eyes the way you describe them. I was about to comment about what a struggle it must be to teach with such limitations...and then I realized that struggle wasn't the right word...what a great opportunity and what a blessing it is that you have such amazing kids and that they in turn have you. I hope it's more than you hoped it would be on a fulfilling and spiritual level.

much love. i miss you, always.